The SCALE project (Production of Scandium compounds and Scandium Aluminum alloys from European metallurgical by- products) funded by the EU Research and Innovation programme H2020-EU.3.5.3 was successfully completed on 31.05.2021.
The main achievements:
- An optimized, commercially viable, eco-friendly selective ion recovery (SIR) technology process for extracting scandium from bauxite residues was patented and demonstrated at pilot scale, imparting sustainability benefits to the environment.
- Al-Sc master alloys was produced at small industrial scale and used in production of Al-Mg-Sc alloys.
- Al-Sc 3D printing with SCALE alloy was demonstrated.
- Direct production of Al with ~ 2wt% Sc by electrolysis from a cryolite melt with Al2O3and Sc2O3 as feed material was demonstrated, obtaining current efficiencies in the range of 85-90%. Besides, dross residues from Al-Sc master alloy production were successfully used as feed, i.e., as Al2O3 and Sc2O3 In this way, the dross material can be valorised by the developed innovative electrolysis process.
- Acid resistant nanofiltration process developed and tested at laboratory and pilot scale proved to be suitable for extraction of Sc from strongly acidic process wastewater (acidic waste of TiO2 production).