Dr. Feigl Viktória represented our group at the 4th George Olah conference organised at Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Faculty of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology on the 26th September 2022, where she held an oral presentation about the re-use of bauxite residue primarily based on the research results of our group during the last 15 years.
The oral session was online streamed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDr6bcmEUTg
The conference programme and the abstract of presentations can be reached at the following website: https://docplayer.net/230332294-4-th-george-olah-conference.html.
Dr. Feigl Viktoria participated on behalf of our group at the ISMET8 -International Society for Microbial Electrochemistry and Technology – GLOBAL CONFERENCE in Chania, Crete on 19-23 September, 2022, organised by the Technical University of Crete, the University of Ghent and the University of Alcalá.
The following poster (ID 222_Conference programme page 25 ) was presented on behalf of the group:
Mónika Molnár, Zsófia Berkl, Éva Farkas, Ildikó Fekete-Kertész, Rita Márton, Imre Németh, Szabina Molnár, Emese Vaszita, Viktória Feigl:
Ecotoxicity test batteries for the monitoring of bio-electrochemical system based remediation technologies
The abstract of the poster presentation can be reached in the e-book of abstracts at: ISMET8 eBook-of-Abstracts.pdf
Our research group was represented by Dr. Feigl Viktória at the final ELECTRA workshop held on the 19th September 2022 in Greece, Crete, Chania on the 1st day of the ISMET8 conference. The partners presented the results of the 4 pilot experiments, based on which, the ELECTRA project (completion date: 31st December 2022) was considered to be successful.
Three members of our group (Dr. Mónika Molnár, Zsófia Berkl, Rita Márton) presented the results of our research work at the 20th International Cyclodextrin Symposium (20th ICS) held between 13-17 June, 2022 in Messina, Sicily, Italy.
According to the Program:
Zsófia Berkl had a short oral presentation about the „Examination of quorum quenching efficiency of cyclodextrins in the Pseudomonas aeruginosa model system” and a poster presentation on the „Effect of alkyl-substituted cyclodextrins on the quorum sensing of Aliivibrio fischeri”
Mónika Molnár presented a poster on the „Cyclodextrin-mediated modification of quorum sensing in the Chromobacterium violaceum model system”.
Rita Márton’s poster shared the results on the „Bioactivity of cyclodextrins on Candida boidinii yeast”.
Congratulations for the impressive and fruitful work in this high profile research field!
Our research group will be introduced at the I. BME Competence Fair organised by BME on 17. June 2022
The 1st BME Competence Fair, organised by BME on 17. June 2022 is a first of its kind program for showcasing research and creativity, disseminating results and facilitating multidisciplinary cooperation.
The aim of the event is to facilitate the meeting of like-minded experts from all over Europe for future research collaborations and European grant applications.
The hybrid (online and in-person) event will provide various opportunities for building connections: research pitches, thematic breakout room discussions and networking sessions. The program will also feature panel discussions on trending topics of the European Research Area.
The networking will be facilitated by an innovative mobile application (Whova) for setting up smart profiles, initiating 1:1 or group discussions around topics of interest and organizing meetups.
There will be 4 pitching sessions, each of them introducing 2 research groups of BME during 2*3 minutes.
Further information about the event, schedule and registration could be reached at: https://innovacio.bme.hu/innovacios-nap/
The scientific publications of our research group in cooperation with national and/or international scientists during 2021-2022 in various scientific journals include the following:
- Dell’Armi, E., Zeppilli, M., Di Franca, M. L., Matturro, B., Feigl, V., Molnár, M., Berkl, Zs., Németh, I., Yaqoubi, H., Rossetti, S., Papini, M. P., Majone, M. (2022) Evaluation of a bioelectrochemical reductive/oxidative sequential process for chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbons (CAHs) removal from a real contaminated groundwater, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 49, 103101, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2022.103101
- Cruz Viggi, C., Tucci, M., Resitano, M., Matturro, B., Crognale, S., Feigl, V., Molnár, M., Rossetti, S., Aulenta, F. (2022) Passive electrobioremediation approaches for enhancing hydrocarbons biodegradation in contaminated soils, Science of The Total Environment, 845, 157325, ISSN 0048-9697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.157325.
- Berkl, Z.; Fekete-Kertész, I.; Buda, K.; Vaszita, E.; Fenyvesi, É.; Szente, L.; Molnár, M. (2022) Effect of Cyclodextrins on the Biofilm Formation Capacity of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Molecules, 27, 3603. https://doi.org/10.3390/ molecules27113603
- Kerekes, I. K., Pusztai, Éva, Feigl, V., Kemény, S. (2022) Acute Ecotoxicological Effects of Bauxite Residue Addition on Mortality and Motion-frequency of Dendrobaena veneta and Enchytraeus albidus (Annelida) in Three Types of Soils, Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 66(3), 512–524. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPch.19868
- Németh, I., Molnár, S., Vaszita, E., Molnár, M. (2021) The Biolog EcoPlate™ Technique for Assessing the Effect of Metal Oxide Nanoparticles on Freshwater Microbial Communities, Nanomaterials , 11(7), 1777. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano11071777
- Farkas, E., Feigl, V., Vaszita, E., Uzinger, N., Rékási, M., Gruiz, K., Molnár, M. (2021) Screening and Ranking Methodology Applied to Biochars Aimed at Acidic and Calcareous Sandy Soil Improvement, Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 65(3), 361-377. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPch.17163
- Hirsch, E., Pantea, E., Vass, P., Domján, J., Molnár, M., Suhajda, Á., Andersen, S. K., Vigh, T., Verreck, G., Marosi, Gy. J. et al. (2021) Probiotic bacteria stabilized in orally dissolving nanofibers prepared by high-speed electrospinning, Food and Bioproducts Processing, 128, 84-94, 11 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2021.04.016
- Molnár, M., Fenyvesi, E., Berkl, Zs., Németh, I., Fekete-Kertész , I., Márton, R., Vaszita, E., Varga., E. , Ujj, D., Szente, L. (2021) Cyclodextrin-mediated quorum quenching in the Aliivibrio fischeri bioluminescence model system – Modulation of bacterial communication, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 594, 120150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2020.120150
The PhD students from our group were awarded the 1st and the 2nd prize at the Spring Wind Conference in Pécs
Congratulations to the PhD students from our group, who participated and were awarded prizes at the multidisciplinary regular annual scientific conference labelled as the Spring Wind Conference in Pécs, organized by the Association of Hungarian PhD and DLA Candidates (DOSZ) between 6-8th of May 2022.
The event provided an opportunity for young researchers and doctoral candidates from all scientific disciplines to present their research outcomes in Hungarian and English, also in oral or poster sessions.
Based on the previously sent abstracts, the presentations were classified into 21 scientific sections and 61 various subsections and two poster sessions according to the scientific disciplines. The conference hosted altogether 500 presenters and 90 participants in the audience.
Two of our PhD students participated with 2 oral presentations at two different scientific subsections and were awarded the 1st and the 2nd prize:
Medical molecular biology subsection
Biotechnology and microbiology subsection
The additional two of our PhD students presented their research results in the poster session, where Rita Márton’s poster won the 1st prize and Szabina Molnár’s poster the 2nd prize:
Poster session 2.
Poster session 1.
Project title: HUNPROTEXC: Protein Science and its application National Programme
Project website: HunProtExc – Introduction – Med in Prot (elte.hu)
Project identification No: 2018-1.2.1-NKP-2018-00005
Funding Agency: National Research, Development and Innovation Fund
Category: Competitive and Excellence cooperation
Programme denomination: 2018-1.2.1-NKP
Sub-programme: “E” sub-programme- Protein Science and its applications National Programme
Project duration: 2019. 03. 01 – 2023. 02. 28
Project type: consortium
Project partners: Eötvös Lóránd University ELTE (consortium leader), Budapest University of Technology and Economics, TTK Research Centre for Natural Sciences (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
The HUNgarian Integrated PROTein Science Program, Centre of EXCellence (in short: HunProtExc) is a unique and new initiative in Hungary with the following aims:
1) Interconnection of different expertise and research fields within protein science, network initialization and support.
2) Adapting the notion of competitive research collaboration, its support and the dissemination of results.
3) Synergy of research fields of protein science to further scientific excellence by facilitating collaborative research of well-renowned scientists on topics concerning medicinal biology, environmental protection / technology and state-of-the-art instrumentation (Synergy Modules).
4) Providing opportunities for young researchers (Start-up Modules),
5) Initiating formation of critical scientific mass on the shared Buda-campus of the 3 participating institutions.
6) Establishing of a protein science knowledge centre (Integrated Protein Facility, IPF), where besides basic and advanced research and development, service of recombinant protein production will be available.
The research topics covered by this program comprises cutting edge research exploring cancer, allergy, stroke (complement system), diabetes, Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases, the Frank-Ter Haar syndrome, non-aging (germline and tumour) cell-lines, proteomics, and enzymatic remediation (environmental protection), etc. all could lead to important discoveries. Training of young talents, as one of the key goals of our scientific excellence, will get greater emphasis through improvement of MSc and PhD programs, the support of a medicinal-biotechnology specialization, the establishment of new protein science research courses at our Universities both in Hungarian and in English
The leaders of this project are connected by years of scientific partnership and successful research collaboration (https://medinprot.chem.elte.hu/hunprotexc), Professors András Perczel (a chemist), Beáta G. Vértessy (a biochemist), László Buday (a medical doctor & molecular biologist) and László Nyitray (a biologist) are ready to face new challenges at a high level of excellence.
A KMBCS research group is involved in the research on the development of ecological remediation technologies utilising efficient microbial inoculants.
The aim of the research is to enhance the efficiency of biodegradation-based methods for remediation of hydrocarbon contaminated soils using microorganisms and enzymes with specific degradation activity. In the first phase of the research, we assessed the biodegradation potential and the microbiological activity in different soils contaminated with not readily biodegradable hydrocarbons (e.g. polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH); we established a microbiological methodology supporting the characterization of the environmental risk of these contaminated sites and planning of biodegradation-based bioremediation technologies. The potential PAH-degrading enzymes for experimental purposes were selected based on the analysis of contaminated soil samples and the scientific literature.
We participated at the 11th International Conference on Environmental Engineering and Management (ICEEM11) (Muttenz, Switzerland, 8-10 September 2021)
On 8-10 September 2021 our group was represented again at the ICEMM11 conference (11th International Conference on Environmental Engineering and Management) with an on-line presentation. The presentation was held by Dr.Viktória Feigl, who presented the results of direct mutagenicity testing conducted on complex environmental samples. The abstract of the lecture was published in the Book of Abstracts under the following details:
Rita Márton, Viktória Feigl, Ildikó Fekete-Kertész, Mónika Molnár: DIRECT MUTAGENICITY TESTING AS PART OF THE ECOTOXICITY TEST BATTERY FOR THE ASSESSMENT COMPLEX ENVIRONMENTAL SAMPLES, 2021, 11th International Conference on Environmental Engineering and Management, ICEEM11, 8 – 10 SEPTEMBER 2021 MUTTENZ, SWITZERLAND, Book of abstracts, 231-232, ECOZONE Publishing House, Iasi, ISSN 2457-7049, ISSN-L 2457-7049
Under the tagline Environmental Engineering for a Clean and Healthy Planet, ICEEM11 aimed to be a platform for scientific dissemination boosting internationalization, multi-disciplinarity and collaboration in research.
Information about the programme of the conference, about the organisers and other details can be reached through the conference webpage: http://iceem.ro/
The over 4 years long SCALE project, funded by H2020-EU.3.5.3, was successfully completed on 31.05.2021
The SCALE project (Production of Scandium compounds and Scandium Aluminum alloys from European metallurgical by- products) funded by the EU Research and Innovation programme H2020-EU.3.5.3 was successfully completed on 31.05.2021.
The main achievements:
- An optimized, commercially viable, eco-friendly selective ion recovery (SIR) technology process for extracting scandium from bauxite residues was patented and demonstrated at pilot scale, imparting sustainability benefits to the environment.
- Al-Sc master alloys was produced at small industrial scale and used in production of Al-Mg-Sc alloys.
- Al-Sc 3D printing with SCALE alloy was demonstrated.
- Direct production of Al with ~ 2wt% Sc by electrolysis from a cryolite melt with Al2O3and Sc2O3 as feed material was demonstrated, obtaining current efficiencies in the range of 85-90%. Besides, dross residues from Al-Sc master alloy production were successfully used as feed, i.e., as Al2O3 and Sc2O3 In this way, the dross material can be valorised by the developed innovative electrolysis process.
- Acid resistant nanofiltration process developed and tested at laboratory and pilot scale proved to be suitable for extraction of Sc from strongly acidic process wastewater (acidic waste of TiO2 production).